Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, August 19, 2012

My Billion Dollar Spaghetti

I recently pinned a recipe for "Million Dollar Spaghetti" and thought it sounded delish.  I, of course, had to embellish a touch, hence the increase in value from million to billion.  Here is the original recipe that I have altered.

This is my recipe:
1 lb of ground beef
1/2 pound of Italian sausage
1 medium onion, diced
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 24 oz. jar of spaghetti sauce, (I used a garlic, parmesan sauce)
8 oz cream cheese
1/4 cup sour cream
1 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 T fresh basil, chopped
8 oz thin spaghetti
2 T unsalted butter
16 oz mozzarella cheese
4 oz sharp cheddar

Cook spaghetti according to package directions and drain.  While spaghetti is cooking, brown ground beef and Italian sausage, adding onion and garlic midway through.  Cook until there is no pink.  Drain meat and add spaghetti sauce. season with salt and pepper to taste.
In a medium bowl, beat together cream cheese, cottage cheese, 1 /4 cup parmesan cheese, and fresh basil.
Butter a 9x13 baking dish and layer half of pasta, spread all of cheese mixture over pasta and top with remaining pasta.  Top with all of meat sauce. Sprinkle top with remaining parmesan.
Bake in a 350 oven for 30 minutes.
Sprinkle with cheese and bake an additional 15 minutes until cheese is melted.


If you compare recipes, you will see I added the onion, garlic, fresh basil, parmesan and also used parmesan, mozzarella and sharp cheese to top it.  I also deleted the full stick of butter.  I think adding mushrooms to the meat sauce or even bell pepper would be yummy additions too. 
Serve with garlic bread and a salad, or do like I did and leave out the salad and proceed to slip into a carb coma after dinner.  This is super good reheated.

The moral to my story, don"t be afraid to adjust a recipe to make it your own. 




No comments:

Post a Comment